Tuesday, October 19, 2010

Mind of Dogs: part 2 ("Inu no Kokoro")


I’ll Bite You Back A Hundred Times Harder!

“She is the apple of my eye!”  Those who are familiar with the relationship between me and my dog, Juliette, would say, "Yeah, yeah, yeah…" in a little sarcastic way.  This feeling of mine for Juliette hasn’t changed a bit for the last ten and a half years.  I shower her with kisses every time I find her on the bed taking a nap so peacefully.  Yet, I also hold this feeling, ‘I would bite you back a hundred times harder if you dare bite me.’  I believe it is very important for dog owners to have this kind of duality.

As I mentioned in my last article, I prepared for the worst on the third day of bringing Juliette home whose breed was considered to be “vicious.”  At the same time, I vowed to be the best dog owner in the world.  I decided to learn more about dogs, especially about pit bulls.  I started getting involved in animal rescue activities at local shelters in order to help dogs like Juliette who desperately needed to find a home.  I started learning how to train shelter dogs to make them become more adoptable.  I’ve spent a lot of time studying dog behavior and their body language in order to appreciate “Mind of Dogs” more fully.  Better yet, the more I observed the shelter dogs and paid attention to their behavior and communication, the stronger the bond between Juliette and myself became.  The staff at the shelter said that it was a miracle Juliette found home.  No.  A miracle actually happened to me when I adopted her.  She has enriched my life so much, helped me realize my capabilities, and gave me the opportunity to change my life.


Trust and Respect

I love their loyalty, earnestness, and honesty.  It’s impossible to lie or play games with them.  They always give back a 100% of what we give them.  Those are the things I love and enjoy so much about dogs.  Even if I feel blue or stressed, everything goes away when I see Juliette’s face.  In fact, I have rarely gotten depressed in the last ten and a half years because I am surrounded by so many of the “world’s best therapists.”  My bitter face turns to a happy face as soon as I see a dog.  Their healing power is so amazing.  It’s not just me who benefit from this wonder.  There are many dogs who engage special work as a certified therapy dog.  They go to hospitals, nursing homes, and schools to provide comfort and to help people ease their problems.  It is my hope that I want as many people as possible to experience such an amazing power dogs offer to humans.


However, dog owners need to realize that they must make a great effort in order to have a happy and comfortable life with their dog.  The most important things between a dog owner and his/her dog are 1) the dog needs to have an absolute trust towards his/her owner, and 2) the owner must earn respect from his/her dog by providing various needs (feeding, exercise, training, toileting, health care, etc. – these are the basic of the basics, by the way).  If you can’t provide what a dog requires, you and your dog’s life will become quite miserable.  However, when the relationship is properly established, I guarantee that you would say “Life is Beautiful!

Well, I would like to bring up a discussion on “matchmaking” the next few times to show you what breed is most suitable for you. 

Until next time, be kind to Man’s Best Friends!
 

                                                             comments/questions: info@doggieproject.com

 

6 comments:

  1. Maho,
    Glad you started this bolg. I know how passionate you are about dogs and above that the love you have for your pitbull. If it wasn't for your encouragement we would never have brought Pinni (our pitbull) from the shelter. Like you said...now "Life is beautiful". We kiss her and hug her all the time. If we forget, she wanders over to us for a hug...Some mornings I find her next to us with her head on our pillow. She is curled up next to me while I write this- LOVABLE dog with a bad rap.
    Look forward to your postings.
    Good Luck-Madhu

    ReplyDelete
  2. MAHO!! Oh my god... your blog is so witty and honest. I love it!! As an owner of a pitbull, I completely understand with your descriptions of truth and respect when it comes to dogs. Keep it up because you definitely have me as one of your loyal readers :)

    -Priya

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Madhu and Pinni!

    Thank you SO very much for reading my blog and writing a comment. I truly appreciate it :)

    I am SOOOOOOOO happy to know that everything is going GREAT and you also feel "Life is Beautiful!" :)

    PLEASE, please send me some picture of Pinni. I really miss that sweet and mischievous little girl!!!

    Stay in touch!

    Maho & Juliette

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Priya,

    Thank you very much for visiting and reading my blog!!! AND, thank you for the nice compliment :)

    I will keep working hard for my beloved pitties by doing anything I can do for them.

    By the way, did you know it was National Pit Bull Awareness Day day before yesterday (10/23)?

    Please come visit us again soon!

    And, give kisses to your piitie for me :)

    Maho & Juliette

    ReplyDelete
  5. I believe eѵerything published աas actually verу logical.
    Hoԝever, wɦat ɑbout tҺіs? what if you ѡere tо write а killer headline?
    Ι ɑm not saying уour content is ոot solid., but ѡhat іf you аdded a headline to mаybe grab
    folk's attention? Ι mean "Mind of Dogs: part 2 ("Inu no Kokoro")" іs kinda plain.

    Уou ϲould peek at Yahoo's frߋnt paǥe and sеe hoա they create article titles tο grab viewers interеsted.
    Yoս migɦt add a relatеd video oг a pic oг two to
    grab readers intеrested aƅout everything've written. Just mʏ opinion,
    it would make уour blog a little livelier.

    dog Boarding everett

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you very much for your time to read my stuff and providing valuable suggestions! Actually, this is translated version of my Japanese articles and I am trying to translate as close to the original as possible. But, great advice! Thanks! I need to work on the translation since I have so many articles pilling up... hope you can come back to read new ones soon.

      Delete