Monday, January 17, 2011

Life with an Older Dog

Juliette’s ‘Funny’ Behavior
 
"Is she really 13 years old?  She looks like she is only 5-6 years old!"  Juliette seems to twinkle whenever people compliment how young she looks.  However, she definitely has started showing the signs of aging, especially since the beginning of 2010.  I often find her standing at a corner of a room facing towards the wall.  She usually stays standing in that position for quite a while or until I ‘wake her up.’  When she is at ‘her corners,’ she seems to be in her own world.  If she isn’t ‘lost at her corners,’ she keeps pacing around the apartment.  She goes back and forth… back and forth… The sound of her nails tapping on the hardwood floor echoes throughout the apartment, and it can be irritating if one tunes into it.  Some other ‘funny’ behavior she started doing is an ‘obstacle race.’  She tries to get herself through the legs of a chair or table.  But since she is not as agile as she used to be, she often gets stuck under a chair and panics.  And, these symptoms are progressing rapidly.

I have been talking to people who live with senior dogs and have learned that they have experienced very similar ordeals.  From reading and doing internet research, I’ve found out that these are the typical symptoms of dementia in senior dogs.  Excessive pacing is a very common sign of dementia in dogs – the loss of ‘purposeful activity.’  When dogs get older, they lose the ability to back up.  That’s why Juliette gets panicky when she gets stuck at a corner of a room or under the chair.  These behaviors are all part of Cognitive Dysfunction Syndrome.

Signs of Aging and Owner's Support

Although it depends on breed and body size, dogs start showing signs of aging around the age of 7.  Gray hair on the face may be the first sign that most dog owners notice.  Juliette’s eyelashes have all turned white now.  You might notice that your dog starts having trouble with getting up on places where s/he used to jump up without any problem.  S/he might start acting more dull or her/his reactions become slower.  Then, you may begin to accept that your dog is aging.

About two years ago, when I came home from work, I found Juliette trembling on the bed.  She didn’t want to get off the bed to greet me, either.  I started thinking she may have fallen off the bed while I was gone and injured her back.  I thought I might have to run her to emergency.  But, she had a very good appetite and finished her favorite treats in a flash, so I waited until the next day to take her to the vet.  After a few tests and x-rays, she was diagnosed with Arthritis.  The vet prescribed some pain relief medications and supplements.  But, I was reluctant to rely on the medication too much.  Some research revealed Yucca (potato from South America) helps to ease joint pain and inflammation.  So, I started adding steamed Yucca to her daily meals.

It seems unbelievable that until a few years ago she was walking so energetically and powerfully that she often made me sweat.  Now, we only totter around the block of our neighborhood.  I have set up doggie steps next to the bed for her to be able to go up easily.  Because she is losing the ability to keep balance and sometimes falls off the bed, I place soft cushions around the bed just in case.  Yes.  I have recently become a ‘caregiver’ for an aging dog.
 
Fortunately, Juliette doesn’t show any signs of the more serious diseases of old age.  Cataracts and dental diseases are very common in older dogs.  Kidney disease, frequent urination and diabetes are also common problems associated with aging.  Because the dog is a very pain-tolerable animal, you may not notice how much trouble your dog is in until the symptoms are far along.  So it is your responsibility as the owner to observe your older dog more carefully and listen to the ‘words’ your dog is telling you.  If you notice these kinds of changes, take the appropriate action as quickly as possible.  Your senior dog may also be feeling surprised by lots of changes in her/him.  The best medicine for an older dog is love and support from the owner.  Give him/her a massage or a hug every day.  Also please keep ‘conversing’ with your dog the same as always.

For me, the way I see it, Juliette and I have been through everything together like ‘collective souls.’  I believe it’s my duty to provide my lifelong partner a happy, fun, and meaningful life until she departs from this world. 

Well, next time, I would like to talk about ‘pet loss.’  Even though it is a difficult subject to undertake, I believe it is important for all dog owners to be prepared and be objective about it.

Until next time, Be Kind to Man’s Best Friends!


comments/questions: info@doggieproject.com

8 comments:

  1. It has been a couple of years; how is Juliette doing these days?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you so very much for asking. Well...... sadly.... Juliette crossed over the Rainbow Bridge on July 25, 2011. She went very very very peacefully while listening to her favorite radio station in our living room lying on her bed and receiving kisses from her mommy (me). Of course, she has been always in my heart and soul. I have her ashes and she is watching over me :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wonderful goods from you, man. I've understand your stuff previous to and you
    are jjst extremel fantastic. I actually likee what you
    have acquired here, really like whwt you're saying and the way in which you say it.
    You makke it enjoyable and you still take caare of to keep it wise.
    I cant wait to read far more from you. This is really a terrific site.



    My web-site Chinchilla sounds Animals

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you vey much for your time to read my stuff. Truly appreciate it. Well, this is translated version of my original articles (written in Japanese). I've been writing a new article discussing about dogs every month but just can't find the time to translate them into English and post them here.... Will try to find the time one day soon! Hope to see you again! :)

      Delete
  4. This is how my dog is feeling as well , just feel so hopeless because , vet said there is nothing they can do other than make my dog my best friend comfortable . I love my dog so much he turning 14 in july 2016 .. im 25 years old he was with me every step of my journey .. not sure how im going to function without him

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for your comment. I know it's so so so sad to say good-bye, but he will stay in your heart forever and he will be with you always. You might not be able to see or touch. But, he will be right next you all the time. I know my Juliette is. Stay strong for your dog and enjoy everything. Sending you positive energy!

      Delete
  5. When my senior dog started to get sick and diagnosed with kidney failure. I ready myself and not being a negative I just want to be prepare and I also inquire in pet cremation near me for her final arrangement.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's what the true dog parent does. THANK YOU :)

      Delete